UNESCO World Heritage Site: Monastery of Christ in Tomar
The obverse shows the arms of Portugal with the cross of Knights Templars on the left and the cross of the Order of Christ on the right. These represent the two past owners of the convent. The reverse shows an interpretation of the chapter's window (circa 1510), and symbol of hte monument's architectural richness.
Originally designed as a monument symbolizing the Reconquest, the Convent of the Knights Templar of Tomar (transferred in 1344 to the Knights of the Order of Christ) came to symbolize just the opposite during the Manueline period – the opening up of Portugal to other civilizations. (source: UNESCO)
Metal: .915 silver
Weight: 14 grams
Diameter: 30 mm